The Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council is the region’s Local Arts Agency
Founded in 2005 after the merger of ProArts and the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Alliance, the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council is the Local Arts Agency serving Southwestern Pennsylvania, with a primary presence in Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh.
To the benefit of the community, the Arts Council supports the time, talent, and work of artists, culture bearers, art educators, art workers, and arts organizations — reinforcing an environment so that ambitions, imagination, innovation, and risk taking can thrive in the Greater Pittsburgh Region.
Our four primary pillars of service are:
- Developing and Strengthening the Arts Ecosystem
- Framing and Guiding Cultural Investment and Action
- Facilitating Community Connections
To advance our mission, we:
- Provide individuals and organizations with the financial and non-financial resources and support they need to thrive within Southwestern Pennsylvania's creative and cultural sector
- Foster and support dynamic and expansive relationships within Southwestern Pennsylvania's creative and cultural sectors
- Conduct research and publish reports on the opportunities and crises that are relevant to, or have an impact on, Southwestern Pennsylvania's creative and cultural sectors
- Raise public awareness of the programs, initiatives, and events led by Southwestern Pennsylvania's creative and cultural sector
- Participate in advocacy efforts at the local, state, and federal levels for arts-friendly public policy
Our vision for the region:
- Pittsburgh is recognized as a progressive city for arts that values and supports the artistic process
- Creative and cultural experiences are accessible throughout Southwestern Pennsylvania and reflect the broad interests and tastes of the region's diverse population
- The creative and cultural sector is a thought leader within principles and practices rooted in diversity, equity, accessibility, inclusion, and belonging
- Every resident and visitor to Southwestern Pennsylvania has access to meaningful and relevant opportunities to engage with the individuals and organizations representing the creative and cultural sector, whether socially, educationally, or economically
Investments in creativity and culture are made through public and private channels as a strategy to attract and retain residents, community identities, and a sense of place
Our work is made possible thanks to the foundations, corporations, businesses, and community organizations that support the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council.