Accessibility is a core value of the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council.
Whether you’re visiting us in person or attending a virtual program, we offer a variety of accommodations to allow everyone to fully participate in our programs and are continually striving to improve accommodations.
Our programs and events are held at a variety of locations throughout the region, though a large portion are currently occurring online via Zoom. Once we're back in person, any programs or events hosted at outside locations will provide detailed accessibility information tailored to the venue. We welcome you to contact us so that we can provide the best access possible to our events and programs - please describe any accommodation that helps your participation.
What to Expect During Virtual Programs
The Arts Council uses Zoom to facilitate its virtual events, programs, and meetings. Every effort will be made to ensure virtual presentations use high contrast and large font. However, many of our events are contracted through outside experts and vendors who create their own presentations. If you require a presentation that is accessible to someone with low vision, please let us know two weeks prior to the event.
Our virtual events can also have an ASL interpreter or open captioning upon request. Event recordings can also be captioned. Please request these services at least two weeks in advance.
What to Expect in Our Facility
The accommodations described below apply to our offices at 810 Penn Avenue in the Big Room located on the seventh floor of our building. If you would like access to any accommodations listed below, we encourage you to reach out to us at email@example.com in advance so we can make any needed arrangements or materials available.
For participants with mobility disabilities
- The entrance to the Arts Council office located at 810 Penn Avenue is wheelchair accessible and has a power assist door. Smaller, old-style elevators bring visitors to our offices on the seventh floor. Arts Council staff are happy to provide curb-to-seat assistance navigating the downstairs door and elevators for anyone who would like some support. We ask that you let us know the day before you are visiting if you would like assistance entering our building.
- Fully accessible restrooms are available adjacent to our seventh floor office space.
- Please request wheelchair seating when registering for any program.
For participants who are blind or have low vision
- Materials for all Arts Council events and meetings are available in large print or digital formats upon request.
- We are pleased to provide Audio Description services for select programming upon request. Please request this service at least two weeks in advance.
- Arts Council staff will gladly greet participants to provide curb-to-seat service. Please request this service a minimum of one day prior to the event and someone will meet you at the door of the building when you arrive.
For participants who are deaf or hard of hearing
- American Sign Language Interpreters are available as requested. Please request this service at least two weeks in advance so we can properly book an interpreter.
- Open Captioning is also available as requested. Please request this service at least two weeks in advance.
- Assistive listening devices (ALDs) are available in some venues on a first come, first served basis.
- Anyone requesting ASL interpretation or open captioning will receive preferred seating.
Our offices are located in the heart of Pittsburgh's central business district and are served by several bus routes as well as the T, Pittsburgh's light rail system. These transportation systems are wheelchair accessible.
- All Pittsburgh Port Authority bus and light rail/T vehicles and the Monongahela Incline are accessible.
- Pittsburgh Port Authority buses are equipped with wheelchair ramps or lifts.
- ACCESS is a door-to-door, advance reservation, shared ride paratransit system provided through Port Authority. Call 412.562.5353 for details.
- Classy Cab (412.322.5080) and Veterans' Taxi (412.481.8387) offer wheelchair accessible taxi service.